The Specialised Commissioning team in NHS England had ambitious QIPP (Quality, Innovation, Productivity and Prevention) targets for 2016/17 and needed to develop a credible but stretching plan for 2017/18. Alongside this, the team had to develop large-scale transformation opportunities with STP partners and continue to deliver ongoing corporate reporting. As a result, NHS England asked us to provide programme management support to develop and embed processes and to scope, mobilise and track QIPP initiatives across their department.
During this project, our team worked closely with the Specialised Commissioning team to establish and embed four distinct, but interlinked areas:
- Corporate project management office (PMO) – establishing relevant processes, structures and governance
- QIPP PMO – embedding a process to ensure improvement schemes were identified, worked up, agreed and monitored
- Transformation PMO – establishing large-scale transformation programmes
- Organisational development – forging strong relationships, developing workforce resilience and transferring knowledge and skills to the wider directorate
Some of the achievements during this time include:
- Defining and embedding corporate reporting processes across a new multi-disciplinary team structure, including developing business hubs.
- Setting up and developing a robust tracking process and dashboard to drive in-year QIPP performance for 2016/17.
- Supporting teams to successfully negotiate the inclusion of QIPP values and schemes into 2017/19 contracts.
- Supporting Heads of Delivery with reporting requirements and working with STP areas effectively.
- Providing specific input to high profile financial recovery work, including high cost drugs validation processes and pharmacy on-cost audits.
- Linking up processes and knowledge across PMO areas to improve the alignment of QIPP plans and long-term transformation work.
At the end of the project, the team successfully handed the work over to the incoming permanent team at NHS England.