NEL CSU ensures clinicians have access to safe, high quality and clinically effective medications that offer excellent value for money and adhere to the most recent guidance in prescribing and treatment. Prescribed medicine is fundamental to improving the health of patients; from everyday prescriptions to complex treatments for specialist conditions. This service seeks to ensure patients have equity in accessing the medicines they need, wherever they live.
Primary Care medicines optimisation, including:
- Formulary and guideline development, and management
- Education and training of clinicians
- Running of disease-specific clinics
- Auditing key therapeutic areas
- Advice on cost-effectiveness
- Policy and guideline development contributing to the reduction in patient harm from medication errors
- Medicines optimisation and improved patient outcomes and experience.
Secondary care medicines management, including:
- Contract management and challenges of high cost drugs
- Work up of Individual Funding Requests for medicines
- Assurance on safety
- Support to achieve financial control of drug budgets
- Equity of access to medicines for patients.
The benefits of working with our service
- A clinical team experienced in the technical and practical knowledge of medicines management, prescribing and provider management
- Appropriately qualified and registered Pharmacists and Pharmacy Technicians
- Access to professional networks
- Economy of scale and tailored support to solve your local issues
- A robust, assured and practical approach to delivering better care, and a more effective use of your drug budget.
If you would like further information, please contact KMCS.Medman@nhs.net