There has been a large focus nationally on the need for systems to work together to solve some of the intractable issues they collectively face, leading to the advent of the Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships (STP). These systems have multiple CCGs, local authorities and providers, often with different boundaries. As a successful commissioning support unit, we have been chosen by a number of customers to be involved in this new systems-thinking.
We have recently supported a number of large-scale system-wide transformation programmes. Providing analysis, project management, PMO and change expertise, we have supported the leaders of these complex systems to develop strategies, mobilise delivery plans and lay the foundations for change.
Our Transformation team has brought its expertise in mental health to enrich the offer as a whole and support the specific mental health aspects of the programmes. This includes:
- Transforming Services Together (TST) – Producing the case for change and associated strategy for Waltham Forest, east London and the City CCGs across all specialties, including mental health
- East London Health and Care Partnership – Developing the Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP) and governance structures for north east London, then mobilising the workstreams for these ambitious plans, including mental health
- Transforming Specialised Services for London (TSSL) – Evaluating Tier 4 mental health services for children and young people (CYP) across London on behalf of NHS England’s Specialised Commissioning team, and developing recommendations for change to ensure the right number of beds area available
- Crisis Care Concordat – Developing an agreed, consistent action plan across BHR CCGs (Barking and Dagenham, Redbridge and Havering) as part of the national programme to improve adult crisis care
- BHR mental health system – Developing a draft model and a decision tree for a wellbeing hub; and identifying the priorities for CYP mental health to create a framework for the implementation of the local transformation plan.
- Best-practice research for CCGs across London – Analysis of existing evidence to outline best practice for topics including IAPT, early intervention in psychosis, crisis carer, children’s mental health and wellbeing, dementia, commissioning and contracting models and current and future needs assessments.